I read a book 4 years ago that rocked my world.
The book lists 10 clues that you are ready for a new challenge:
10 SIGNS A LEADER NEEDS A NEW CHALLENGE
1. Things are running smoothly.
2. You are consistently getting positive feedback.
3. Your brain doesn’t have to work hard to be successful.
4. You don’t prepare for meetings because you already know the answers.
5. You’ve stopped learning something new every day.
6. You are busy but bored.
7. You’re taking longer showers in the morning and you take your time getting to work.
8. It makes you tired to think you could be doing the same job a year from now.
9. You’ve become increasingly negative and can’t identify why.
10. You’re spending a lot of time trying to fix other people’s problems.
The author says that if you check three or more, you need a new challenge.
As I read this list back then, I checked off six.
And then I started to sweat.
Because life was good. Business was thriving. And yet I knew immediately that it was time for something new…
That book that changed my life?
It was Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work, by Liz Wiseman. She’s been named one of the top 10 leadership thinkers in the world.
The book is based on the premise that we do our best work when we bring the enthusiasm, curiosity and fearlessness of youth to new ideas. It’s a mindset that embraces failure and risk.
But one of the challenges of leadership is that the more successful you become, the less inclined you are to take the risks that got you to where you are today.
Four years ago, these questions shook up my life and my business. And sowed the seeds for what would become 4PC…
How many did you check?
I love sharing resources and books that I love. Please note that the links in this article are my affiliate links. If you prefer not to use my affiliate links you can search for any of these titles directly where ever you purchase your books.