I read a book 4 years ago that rocked my world.
The book lists 10 clues that you are ready for a new challenge:
10 SIGNS A LEADER NEEDS A NEW CHALLENGE
1. Things are running smoothly.
2. You are consistently getting positive feedback.
3. Your brain doesn’t have to work hard to be successful.
4. You don’t prepare for meetings because you already know the answers.
5. You’ve stopped learning something new every day.
6. You are busy but bored.
7. You’re taking longer showers in the morning and you take your time getting to work.
8. It makes you tired to think you could be doing the same job a year from now.
9. You’ve become increasingly negative and can’t identify why.
10. You’re spending a lot of time trying to fix other people’s problems.
The author says that if you check three or more, you need a new challenge.
As I read this list back then, I checked off six.
And then I started to sweat.
Because life was good. Business was thriving. And yet I knew immediately that it was time for something new…
That book that changed my life?
It was Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work, by Liz Wiseman. She’s been named one of the top 10 leadership thinkers in the world.
The book is based on the premise that we do our best work when we bring the enthusiasm, curiosity and fearlessness of youth to new ideas. It’s a mindset that embraces failure and risk.
But one of the challenges of leadership is that the more successful you become, the less inclined you are to take the risks that got you to where you are today.
Four years ago, these questions shook up my life and my business. And sowed the seeds for what would become 4PC…
How many did you check?
I love sharing resources and books that I love. Please note that the links in this article are my affiliate links. If you prefer not to use my affiliate links you can search for any of these titles directly where ever you purchase your books.
PS. Exciting News… The acclaimed 90 Day Money Game is making its grand return! For 16 years, this unique Client Creation game has been the secret weapon for the world’s top coaches ready to create their next client. Now, it’s your opportunity to join the ranks…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can amplify your coaching impact and income:
- The Coaching In Challenging Times Playbook. The year ahead is likely to be volatile and uncertain, which is why this playbook has been downloaded by tens of thousands of coaches…
- Our Intensives have sold out for over a decade. Secure your spot now – 101 tickets have already been claimed. Choose between The Virtual RLI to unlock the secrets to a thriving coaching business. Or Join me at The Santa Fe RLI – our first in-person Intensive in 5 years, bundled with complimentary Virtual RLI access.
- Rich Litvin RAW! Dive into over 40 hours of my immersive coaching content, accessible anytime, anywhere. It’s like having a coaching seminar in your pocket!
- The Thinking Partnership: This is beyond coaching – it’s exclusive and personal support. One of my clients is a former international boxer turned elite coach, another is the founder of a global therapy school. I provoke your thinking, you take action, and your life and business transforms. One spot available.