The trick isn’t being successful. The trick is being human.
In the field of artificial intelligence, there’s a saying: “Hard things are easy; easy things are hard.” It’s called Moravec’s Paradox.
The “hard skills” of business include finance, data analysis, cloud computing, artificial intelligence and strategic thinking.
The “soft skills” of business include leadership, sales, communication, flexibility, persuasion, collaboration, negotiation and interpersonal, emotional-based skills such as empathy and resilience.
The soft skills of business are human skills. They are people-related, they are hard to train for, and they’re very costly to get wrong.
Soft skills are the hardest skills.
But you already know that. You’re a people person, right?
In a speech, the great physicist Richard Feynman once said “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.”
That’s as true for a billionaire as an undergraduate. It’s as true when you first found a startup as it is after your second multi-million dollar exit.
A psychology research paper, Unskilled And Unaware Of It, by J Kruger et al., says:
“We all lack self insight some of the time. And, in particular, when we’ve strayed beyond our sphere of competence, we may lack the competence to know it.”
A follow up paper, Skilled Or Unskilled, But Still Unaware Of It, by Katherine A Burson et al., points out that on more difficult tasks, high performers are even less accurate than the worst performers in their judgments.
This is the coaching century
Smart, successful, wealthy people are at greater risk of their own errors of judgement, each time they start a new project.
Which is why every great leader needs the support of a trusted advisor.
To be amongst the very best trusted advisors is to recognize that even we can’t trust the way we think. So we have our own advisors, too.
As Hugh McLeod puts it, “The trick isn’t being successful. The trick is being human.”
PS. If you want to enroll and coach talented and ambitious clients, I have 7 yes or no questions for you:
- Leadership. You’re not afraid to lead. You’re known as a leader (whether as an executive, or as an entrepreneur, or in your family. Or all three). YES/NO
- The Prosperous Coach Approach. You’re familiar with this approach to enrolling clients. And you are ready to create (or grow) your practice of high-performing, high-fee clients. YES/NO
- High touch vs high tech. You are willing to put internet marketing to one side, while you create clients one powerful conversation at a time. YES/NO
- Longevity. You’re in the coaching/consulting field for the long haul. You have the resources so that you don’t “need” clients, even if you want them. YES/NO
- Bias for action. When you’re 70% ready, you go. You don’t wait for perfection. You don’t need tons of information before you begin. YES/NO
- Risk. You’re a risk taker by nature. You’re not afraid to fail or make mistakes. You’re willing to collect NOs. YES/NO
- Contribution. You’re a giver. When you join a community, people are grateful you are there. YES/NO
If all seven of these are true, then either Project Kairos or Transition Excellence is your perfect next jump:
- Project Kairos is like having your own personal and confidential Board of Directors, led personally by me. It is an 11 month program, with a private group of 30 coaches. There are 90 minute group coaching sessions, twice a month. You also have access to a membership center for questions and support with me, between calls. Plus, you receive a complimentary ticket to the next Intensive (value: $2,297). [There are 3 spots left for the June start]. Your investment is $13,500.
- Transition Excellence is a self-paced training for high-level leaders. It is a 100 day training, with self-paced video learning, plus live group calls with me and my leadership team, twice a month. TE is ICF accredited. You can complete in a minimum of 100 days but you have access for up to 6 months. You are part of a private Facebook group. Your investment is $6,950.
PLUS… Whenever you’re ready… here are 2 more ways we can help you stand out as a high-level trusted advisor:
- It’s time to stop being a best kept secret… The 4PC Accelerator will get you to write your book, create your own intellectual property and build your own community—so that dream clients call you… This is a $5K investment in your future. (The regular price is $6K).
- It’s time to stop being the most interesting person in the room… 4PC is my private club for top performers. If you have a track record of success behind you and a big mission ahead of you, we are the support and the community that you need…
Imposter Syndrome is actually a requirement for acceptance! Or, as we like to say: You should be a little in awe of us and we should be a little in awe of you… Click here to see if 4PC is your perfect next step. We only open the doors twice a year and you can apply now for an interview for our August start. [4PC is a $25K/year investment, with a minimum 3 year commitment. We play big…]