A Coach’s Guide to Power
Here are 25 ways to create more power and impact…
A Coach’s Guide to Power
1.Silence is one of your most powerful coaching tools. When needed, say nothing. Listen far more than you talk.
2. Create enough safety and love that your clients trust you. Deeply.
3. Find clients you can believe in. Then believe in them fiercely.
4. Discover what your clients really need, not just what they say they want.
5. Go deeper. Listen for the real problem, not the presenting problem.
6. Ask “interested” questions not “interesting” questions. (eg. “Tell me more about that…” vs “Here’s what I think … How about you?”)
7. Ask provocative and ‘obvious’ questions
8. Listen between the words for what’s not being said.
9. Draw out your clients’ secret desires and deepest fears. Find out what really scares them.
10. Draw out the dark side of their gifts and their guilty secrets. When you can say out loud what the voices in your clients’ heads are saying, they will think you are a genius.
11. Be more curious about how they think, than what they think.
12. Pay more attention to the context of your clients’ stories than the content.
13. Most people are more willing to fight for their limitations than to go after what they really, really want. Don’t indulge them.
14. Most people focus only on what seems probable or possible. Expand their thinking. Help them dream big. Help them create what currently seems impossible.
15. Challenge and stretch your clients to the very edge of their comfort zone—and beyond.
16. Your clients should say, “I hate you!” on a regular basis. (They should smile when they say this, or you’re doing something wrong!)
17. Bring up uncomfortable topics that will really help your clients to grow.
18. Balance challenge with recovery. Don’t just push them, help them to switch off. Most top performers are working far, far harder than they need or should.
19. Serve your clients, don’t please them.
20. Be willing to make mistakes and to look silly in front of your clients.
21. When needed, lead powerfully. When needed, take a back seat.
22. Hide nothing and hold nothing back. Speak your truth and draw out theirs.
23. Let go of the need to look good. Share your biases, your limitations, your weaknesses and your struggles. (Do this in service of your client, it’s not meant as therapy for you.)
24. Break the rules.
25. If you want clients who are “Kings,” look for the “King” in everyone you meet.
PS. Would you like me to support you in creating high-performing, high-fee clients? Project Kairos is like having your own personal and confidential Board of Directors, led personally by me—for 11 months.
You’ll join a private group of 30 coaches. There are 90 minute group coaching sessions, twice a month. Plus, access to a membership center for daily questions and support with me. Plus, you receive a complimentary ticket to our 2022 Intensive.
Join me in PK5—the 5th cohort of Project Kairos. Each of the first 4 cohorts sold out. Our first call is in June and the first 5 spots have already gone.
PLUS… Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you build the confidence, skills and the powerful language you need to enroll high-performing, high-fee clients.
- Join Serve, Lead, Serve, my Facebook community of almost 5,000 coaches. I created it for you…
- Want to coach Elite Top Performers? I spent years deconstructing my own coaching. I looked at what works and what doesn’t work when you’re coaching a world-class martial artist, a former Navy Seal or the leader of a billion dollar corporation. In this self-paced program, I’ll help you achieve mastery in coaching.
- Tell your story with power & impact… What if you could tell your story with such confidence and clarity, that dream clients call you, for the rest of your life? You can. I can help.
- One on one coaching will transform your life… Only one spot available. $185,000 investment. Write to me.