How to create an amazing podcast in 30 minutes…
I’m going to give you a way to create a podcast that is SO unique, there’s nothing like it on the planet. And in less than 30 minutes.
Are you crazy, Rich? Do you understand how busy I am? And don’t you know there are now over 800,000 podcasts?
I’m not crazy. And it’s far easier than you think. But first we need to distinguish 2 types of podcasts:
- Interview-style podcasts
- Coach-style podcasts
1. Interview-style podcasts
Tim Ferris’s podcast is a great example of how to do powerful, deep interviews. What I admire about Tim is that he does things his way. He records 2 hour+ episodes and he interviews people who fascinate him.
This long-form interview style took off in the podcasting world. And now it’s emulated by coach after coach. But they’re missing something that could transform their world…
2. Coach-style podcasts
If you want to be known as a great coach, create a podcast where you actually coach! If you want coaching clients, record yourself coaching and let people listen or watch you. It’s the principal at the heart of The Prosperous Coach Approach:
Sell the EXPERIENCE of coaching, not the CONCEPT of coaching
DON’T try to market your coaching on the podcast. Don’t run ads. Don’t try to get sponsorship. JUST COACH.
What kind of podcast do you have – or want?
- You don’t have a podcast…
- You have an interview-style podcast…
- You already have a successful podcast…
A. You don’t have a podcast…
Once a week, block out 30 minutes for a pro bono coaching session. Tell people there’s no charge but you will record it and share it with people.
When someone says they’re in, set up a Zoom call. Hit record and then coach them as powerfully as you can, for 30 minutes.
When you’re done, download the video and upload it to YouTube. Put the video on your site. That’s it.
If you record one episode a month, you’ll have a bank of 12 episodes in a year. And whenever someone is thinking of working with you, you can send them to listen to you coaching.
Potential clients will already know they want you as their coach before you’ve even spoken.
** Technical ability needed: 3/10
** Courage needed: 8/10. This might feel scary. You can do scary.
B. You have an interview-style podcast…
If you’re doing an interview-style podcast, STOP IT! 🤣
If you want to be known as a great coach, then coach on your podcast. If you want to stand out, in the podcasting world, then coach on your podcast.
Look, you can keep doing interviews if they energize you and fascinate you but also record yourself coaching.
** Technical ability needed: 1/10. You already know how to do this.
** Courage needed: 6/10. You’ve got this.
C. You already have a successful podcast…
I have a number of clients who are coaches with very successful podcasts and tens of thousands of listeners. Some of them interview world-class experts and famous guests.
If that’s YOU, here’s what you need to understand:
Those famous guests are your PEERS…
From now on, when you reach out to invite a potential guest, try this:
“Hello ______, I’d like to invite you to be a guest on my Podcast. We have XX,000 listeners and previous guests have included ______, ______ and ______.
Here’s what’s different: your episode will have two parts:
In part 1, I’ll draw out 2-3 of the most powerful lessons you teach, or values that you hold.
Now, as well as running a successful podcast, I’m also a trusted advisor to top performers in their field. So, in part 2, you’ll bring your biggest dream, or your biggest block. And we’ll brainstorm or I’ll coach you.
This should feel a little edgy. And in my experience, leaders who are willing to get this vulnerable, actually inspire their team or their community – more than they could ever imagine.
Let me know if you’re in, or if you have any questions…..”
** Technical ability needed: 1/10.
** Courage needed: 9/10. But take one tiny step and invite your first guest, now – even if you start by coaching a current client.
(1) Don’t sell or market. Just coach.
(2) Use a wired microphone.
(3) Make sure the light is in front of you, not behind you.
BUT RICH, THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT COACHES, HOW WILL I STAND OUT?
That’s the final secret… You don’t have to.
Even I’m not trying to get my Podcast to #1 on iTunes. That’s a vanity metric. I don’t care about that. I have no idea how many people listen to my podcast. I’ve never asked!
The metric I LOVE is when ONE PERSON says, “I loved that episode Rich. Here’s the insight I got…”
My podcast is for my people. And your podcast is for YOUR people.
Focus on serving, not standing out.
PS. Come behind the scenes for a unique, behind-the-scenes look at my new and upcoming book, Create Clients Now! In 2022, you can no longer just create a book, you have to create your audience and have them in mind as you write. You need to think about your book as a tool for your clients' success. And you need to let your community into your process rather than wait for perfection… Save your spot now - January 26 at 9am PST, 12pm EST, 5pm GMT.
Plus, whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you increase your income and impact, as a world-class coach:
- Join me for 2 exciting new programs: (1) How to Coach a Superhero, and (2) The 90-Day Money Game. Raise your fees. Up-level your clients. Build world-class coaching skills. Master high-level group coaching. And – most importantly – learn how to coach clients who are smarter, more successful and wealthier than you.
- Join The Rich Litvin Intensive - 160 people have already reserved their spot at our flagship program. We only run the RLI once a year. It’s your opportunity to spend 8 days with me focused on Client Creation. $1397 (increases to $1897 on Jan 31). Or… Apply to join our Source Team - and be trained by my leadership team on how to lead your own life-changing Intensive. (If you already purchased your ticket, it’s also possible to upgrade).
- Join Transition Excellence, my 6 month, self-paced training on client creation. Plus, you get weekly live group calls with me and my leadership team—and you join our private Facebook group to access our incredible community. TE is ICF accredited. ($7K)
- Join Project Kairos to go really deep with me, for 11 months of Client Creation. 2022 is the last year I will ever run this program. Plus, you receive a complimentary ticket to the April RLI. We begin soon and every Project Kairos has sold out. There are 9 spots left. ($13.5K)