The secret behind great coaching is that powerful questions make a massive impact.
If you’d like to create a powerful year ahead, you need to be asking the right questions.
I asked one of my clients a question that led to her high tech business getting a billion dollar valuation. I asked a mother of four a question that helped her scale her business, so that it makes money without her. I asked a client who was struggling to make money combining coaching and nannying, a single question that resulted in her changing careers from coaching to becoming a superyacht broker.
Questions change everything…
What follows are the powerful questions I take my private clients through, to create their best year yet.
If you do this alone, there are 5 rules:
- Block out 1-2 hours.
- Go somewhere inspiring. A beach, a park, a hotel, a lovely restaurant.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Work through the questions.
- Be prepared for an insight that shifts everything…
“If you know your history, then you would know where you’re coming from…”
– Bob Marley
Look back over the past 12 months. Review your calendar. Review your bank account.
- What are you most proud of—personally and professionally?
- What was the hardest thing you had to overcome? What did you learn from it?
- What—and who—energized you the most?
- What—and who—drained you the most?
- What—and who—are you still tolerating?
- What were the 1-3 activities or habits that created 80% of your success, happiness and health?
- Who were the 3-5 people that helped you produce 80% of your results? (Clients, colleagues, friends, loved ones).
- What were the 1-3 activities or habits that created 80% of your problems, unhappiness or poor physical/mental health?
- What goals did you not accomplish? What got in the way?
- How are you different at the end of this year from 12 months ago?
- What coincidences, lucky moments or miracles occurred this year? How did you create them?
- What is one thing that you spent money on that provided the most value?
- How did you waste the most money?
- What are you grateful for?
What are your top 3 insights?
“If it entertains you now but will bore you someday, it’s a distraction. Keep looking.”
– Naval Ravikant
- What is your Zone of Genius? (The thing you are best at—and it’s so fascinating that it feels effortless).
- What’s missing from your life and/or business? And how do you keep it out?
- What are you tolerating? (If an activity, a person or a habit in your life is a 7/10 or less, you’re tolerating it).
- What are the top 1-3 things on your list that you’ve been procrastinating on for weeks, months—or even years?
The Wheel of Life
- Health [0-10] How does your body and mind feel?
- Wealth [0-10] How do you feel about your financial situation?
- Spirit [0-10] Are you connected to something bigger than yourself? (Eg. God, purpose, spirituality, or values).
- Family & Friends [0-10] How do you feel about the quality of relationships in your life?
- Love [0-10] How do you feel about romance in your life?
- Work/Team [0-10] What or who energizes you? What or who drains you?
- Personal Growth [0-10] How much time do you invest in self-improvement or professional development?
- Fun [0-10] How much time do you devote to re-creation and fun?
- Technology [0-10] How does technology energize you? How does it drain you?
- Environment [0-10] How do you feel about your physical environment?
Which 1-3 areas do you intend to focus on next year?
“To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time.”
– Leonard Bernstein
- Imagine 3 years have gone by and they were the best 3 years of your life… What were the top 1-3 things you accomplished that have given you a tremendous sense of pride, success and happiness?
- If in 3 years time you are disappointed with your results, why will that be? (Let’s be honest, we always know in advance why we’ll fail at something).
- What’s your breakthrough goal? (If you were only allowed to focus on one goal next year, which goal would be most likely to ensure that every other goal was accomplished—even if you were not allowed to work on them).
- Who do you want to be by the end of next year?
- What’s one thing you want to start doing next year?
- What’s one thing you want to stop doing next year?
- Who in your life deserves more attention next year?
- What’s one word or sentence that sums up next year?
Great questions deserve great answers. Block out significant time to reviewing this year and creating next year. It will have a big impact, I promise you.
Write to me with your single biggest insight, after doing this exercise. I can’t reply to everyone but I read every email that is sent to me.
PS. Project Kairos just began but it’s not too late to join me. You’ll get the recordings of the calls you miss. Master Creating Clients in the last Project Kairos I will ever run. Sign up now, and you still get a gift ticket to my upcoming program: $100K Clients!
PLUS, here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your impact and your income:
- Join my 2 new short programs, $100K Clients and One Milllllion Dollars! There’s a button at the bottom of either page that allows you to join both programs and save almost $300…
- Get my support as a Thinking Partner. This is for one successful entrepreneur or coach who wants to have their thinking provoked and to be challenged – on everything!
- Become my Protégé. This is for a single coach who wants my mentoring to help them transform every element of their coaching business – mastering The Prosperous Coach Approach, writing books, scaling your business, building a team, or becoming known as a Thought Leader…
- Want to work with me but not sure where to start? Check out our coaching journey and pick the program that suits you best.