First 1,000 Days
The first 1,000 days of any business are the most challenging. They require a tremendous amount of energy. Financial energy, physical energy, emotional energy.
If you don’t have financial, physical and emotional reserves, you probably won’t make it.
Before you quit your job as a coach, put aside a year’s income, get in the best shape of your life and practice signing clients before you need them.
(If you have a client who wants to quit their job to become an entrepreneur – recommend that they put aside a year’s income, get in the best shape of their life and sell their product or service before they start a business).
Slowing down will almost always help you to speed up…
Assume that it will take 3 years to launch your coaching business:
1. One year to screw up, make mistakes and fail. Again and again and again.
This is the year you will say yes to everything.
This year needs courage.
2. One year to discover that success follows failure. But also that failure can follow success.
This is the year you will find out what lights you up.
This year builds competence.
3. One year to start turning business away.
This is the year you will discover that they need you more than you need them.
This year builds confidence. (Confidence is a result, not a requirement)
4. Two years to test you…
Hang on. You said 3 years, Rich. Why are you talking about two more years?!
Because life isn’t always fair. Business success doesn’t always go in straight lines.
Being a professional coach isn’t for everyone. And that’s ok. Better you know that now, than down the road.
As George Leonard said: “Perhaps the safest prediction we can make about the future is that it will surprise us.”
If you don’t stay in good shape… If you don’t keep saving money… If you don’t make time for your relationship, your family and your friends… You won’t have the ability to ride the ups and downs of business.
Can I promise you that it will take 3 years to build a successful coaching business?
I have seen people do it in one. I have seen people quit after two. It took me around four.
What I can promise you is that the world will challenge you. Your wife won’t understand your career choice. Your husband will be mad you’re not making enough money. Your clients will quit. The economy will go through a recession. Your accountant will tell you to get a real job.
What I can promise you is that if you are not in it for the long haul you won’t be in it for long.
And if you are in it for the long haul, I’ll be right here, alongside you.
PS. In the spirit of you can never tell them enough! Here are my favorite resources for you…
- Here’s my podcast, 1 Insight
- Here’s the book that started it all, The Prosperous Coach (and the UK version)
- Here’s my YouTube channel
- Here’s the best of my writing
- Here’s a link to the programs that will change your life. Just saying!
PPS. There are just 5 spots left to join me at my once-a-year 4PC Accelerator and become a Powerful Coach… Command fees beyond the range of most coaches. Become sought after by clients. Develop provocative ideas. Build a body of work. And learn from my special guest: my friend/coach/consultant, Daniel Priestley. Daniel has built successful multi-million dollar businesses in Australia, UK and Singapore. He is a best-selling author and he’ll be teaching us a tool that literally gets potential clients knocking at your door. That’s not hyperbole, I’ve been using it for over 5 years…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your income and impact as a world-class coach:
- Join Project Kairos to truly master The Prosperous Coach Approach. Don’t miss out…
- Join me on two of my most popular programs: In How to Coach a Superhero, you’ll learn how to coach highly successful clients and do high-level group coaching. In Money. Money. Money, you’ll handle your limiting beliefs around money, and become financially fearless. There’s a special price to join both…
- Join me for a desert coaching adventure – at The Deep Dive, in Dubai, this December – to sit on one of my legendary hot seats… Only 2 spots left.
- If you get high on exciting ideas and like to act fast, there’s a single spot left to become my Protegé. You’ll absolutely transform your coaching business (and yourself). It’s a two year commitment and a $100K investment. Or reserve the final spot for a Thinking Partnership in 2022. You’ll join my 1:1 client alumni – some of the most extraordinary and successful coaches and leaders out there – including, Mark Silverman, Sumi Krishnan, Kelly Ramon, Jennifer Gresham, Jackie Knechtel, Todd Buterbaugh, Helen MacMillan, Annabel Hands, Becky Strauss, Christina Berkley, Jeanine Becker, Vanessa Horn, Terrance Thames, Destin Gerek, Evelyne Brink, Chris Libutti, Townsend Wardlaw, Tatiana Poliakova, Sylvia Rhode-Liebenau, Sara Milne Rowe, Madelaine Vallin, Gisela Lowenstein, Tracey Russell, Patty Ivey.