Don’t sell what YOU have, talk about what THEY want…
Did you know that cashews aren’t really nuts?
They’re more like a bean or a thick-shelled seed.
Cashew nuts are just beans with great marketing!
Do you enjoy the way that Chilean sea bass melts in your mouth?
It commands top prices at fine-dining restaurants around the world because of its flaky texture and rich, buttery flavor.
Here’s the thing: Chilean sea bass doesn’t actually exist. It’s not actually a bass. And it doesn’t even come specifically from Chile.
In fact, its real name is the Patagonian toothfish! And it looks like this:
Not exactly a name or an image to inspire diners, right?
But in 1977, an entrepreneur who sold fish wholesale had an insight.
Lee Lantz realized that diners would be far more interested to eat a filet of sea bass, than a filet of toothfish.
He had a great product that needed a better story…
He renamed the Patagonian toothfish as Chilean sea bass and he crafted a story of a high-quality fish for high-class diners.
The marketing campaign was a roaring success.
The Patagonian toothfish can teach us some great lessons about marketing.
Great marketing doesn’t sell what you have. It sells what they want.
Nobody cares what you do.
They don’t care if you do ontological coaching, holistic coaching or solution-focused coaching.
They don’t care if you’re a certified coach or if you have a PhD. They don’t care what coach training school you attended, or what letters are after your name.
They don’t care about your background in Rapid application development, Lean or Six Sigma methodologies.
They are thinking: “I’m here. I want to be there.”
They want to know, “Do you understand me? Can you help me?”
So, here’s what you need to talk about:
- Talk about the greatest challenges your clients face. Reflect deeply on the feelings and emotions they experience every day that this giant challenge is in their life.
- Talk about the secret thoughts in the heads of your dream clients. When you can articulate the voices in their head that they believe no one else knows, they’ll pay rapt attention to everything else you have to say.
- Talk about their dreams and goals. Listen to them so carefully that you can repeat their desires in their own words. Nothing feels more wonderful than knowing you’ve been listened to deeply.
Don’t sell what you have, talk about what they want…
PS. Dramatically increase your confidence as a coach by mastering enrolling clients. Drastically increase your ability to raise your fees and up-level your clients. And learn to have fun making money. Join me on The 90 Day Money Game. There’s still time to join us…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your income and impact as a world-class coach:
- Assess your current coaching level and learn how to get to your next level. Read – or remind yourself of – The Litvin Levels, from The Prosperous Coach.
- Watch me coach some of the top coaches on the planet, in order to drastically uplevel your coaching skills. Join me on How To Coach A Superhero: The 4PC edition.
- Imagine joining a Deep Coaching experience alongside the members of 4PC, my community of high-level coaches… We only offer The 4PC Accelerator once a year and it always sells out in advance. Save $1,000 with early-bird pricing.
- Learn how to enroll and coach successful, talented and ambitious clients – with power and impact. Join my flagship program, Project Kairos – for 8 months of guidance, challenge and support to master creating clients.