I don’t know about you but when I was growing up my family didn’t talk much about sex. But you know what’s funny? We talked about money less than sex!
No wonder I found money confusing as I got older. No wonder I faced lots of money challenges. By the way, I am a scientist by training, with a joint degree in Economics & Biology, and I studied statistics all the way up to Master’s degree level. Pro tip: none of that helped!
I struggled with a bunch of limiting beliefs around money for years.
How many of the following limiting beliefs feel familiar to you?
- I don’t like to think about money…
- I don’t like to talk about money.
- I’m not good with money…
- You have to work hard to make money…
- People with a lot of money are lucky. Or dishonest…
- I unconsciously spend money as soon as it comes into my account… [Embarrassing to admit, right?]
- I relate to money the same way as my mother or my father… [Embarrassing to notice, right?]
- Making a million dollars feels impossible… [How about making a million in a year? A month?]
- I secretly believe you can either be rich or you can be happy…
- I secretly think that having money is selfish…
- I’m secretly scared that one day all my money will run out…
- If I just had more money, all my problems would be solved…
Would you be surprised to discover that many of the wealthiest people out there have similar beliefs and limitations to you?
Over the past 20 years, I’ve coached the adult children of billionaires. They are often far less happier than you’d imagine. Unless you’ve watched Succession!
I’ve coached many, many self-made millionaires (they are far more common than you’d imagine).
I’ve coached high-net-worth clients (assets between $1 million and $30 million) and ultra-high-net-worth clients (assets over $30 million). Would you be surprised to know that none of them ever considered stopping working? Would you be surprised to know that despite their net worth, several were still secretly scared that one day all their money would run out?
I’ve coached people who have lost over a million dollars. Would you be surprised to know that almost all of them made it back again?
I’ve met several unhappy millionaires in my life. I used to wonder how you could possibly be unhappy with over a million dollars in your bank account. I eventually discovered that money is a multiplier. If you’re not a happy person to start with, more money won’t make you happier.
And I’ve coached many extremely happy people with a vocation that’s never likely to make them rich – from nurses to teachers, artists, singers, rabbis, priests, firefighters and the military. They understood intuitively what Harvard’s Study of Adult Development has studied for 85 years. It’s the world’s longest study on happiness and its results show that money can be a useful tool to give us security, safety and a sense of control over lives. But money alone can’t buy happiness.
A wealthy life is about far more than money. It’s about our connections with others, our relationships, giving back and making a real difference.
But that doesn’t mean you need to give up the thought of making money.
A million dollars might not make you happy but making a million dollars worth of difference in the world can be a worthy pursuit.
The problem is, this meme demonstrates the approach most people take to money:
That made me smile. I’ve been there for sure.
But over two decades ago, I started actively studying money. I’ve read almost 100 books on the topic. I’ve worked with experts in all aspects of money. I’ve hired the very best bookkeepers and accountants and wealth managers. And I’ve spent hours talking with my brother who is a financial consultant.
It turns out that I love money! Yeah, I said it.
I love making money. And I love giving it. In fact, the more I can make, the more I can give. And because I’m in the business of changing people’s lives, I have the confidence of knowing that the more money I make, the more impact I’ve had.
I love saving money – for my family’s future and for my kids.
And I love spending money on things that I love. At this stage in my life, I like to spend money to make my life more effortless. Like Business Class flights, or glamping on safari in Tanzania – in a tent with a king size bed, a hot shower and a chandelier! – or fast track through an international airport, and a driver to meet me.
I used to have a very different value around money because I always flew economy, to save money. And I spent years backpacking around Africa and staying in cheap hotels in Asia, to stretch my money further. But your values around money can change over time.
I’m writing this towards the start of my annual 3 month summer vacation. We’re currently on a 3 week trip to England. We’ve just come back from a week-long trip on a canal boat. We’re staying in a beautiful home on the river in Putney. We’re soon off to Denver on a camping trip and then heading to Wyoming for a family wedding. Then, I’m off to Italy for two weeks to run a 4PC Intensive and for a family adventure in Lake Como.
One of the best things you can do for your clients is to live a great life.
Finally, I’m not great at managing money but that’s why I’ve built a great team to help me. And I’ve spent years learning how best to invest my money.
There are 6 Masteries of Money
It’s time for a Money Mastery Audit… For each of the following 6 masteries, where are you now? And where do you want to be in 12 months?
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at making money? (Can you create clients by invitation and referral? Can you charge more than most people in your field? Can you make money in your sleep?)
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at spending money? (This is not reckless spending. Do you spend consciously on things you love and value, including luxuries?)
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at saving money? (Do you have an emergency fund? Do you have a year’s worth of income in savings? Do you have a financial freedom account that you only add to and never touch?)
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at managing money? (Do you understand profit, cash flow, revenue, tax planning and high-level negotiation?)
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at giving money? (Do you give your time and skills, as well as money, to support causes important to you?)
- On a scale of 1-10, how good are you at investing money and making your money work for you? (Do you regularly invest in the stock market, mutual funds, or real estate? Do you regularly invest in your own business? Do you regularly invest in your professional development and personal growth?)
Which of these 6 Masteries of Money is your strength? And which would you like to improve most in the next 12 months?
If you want to be a Prosperous Coach, you need to lead a Prosperous Life. And that’s about far more than increasing the number of zeros in your bank account.
I’ve earned millions of dollars in my career but I used to be a high school teacher, with a very basic income.
I still remember being scared about where my next client would come from. And one of my most painful money mistakes led to me going into $100,000 of credit card debt. But I’ve also raised tens of thousands of dollars for charities, I’ve helped to build 5 schools in Africa and I sponsor several wolves at an animal sanctuary.
I’ve made money, lost money and struggled with money. And I’ve discovered what’s far more important than money.
I’ve learned a lot about how to coach people on their money stuff. (Hint: money stuff is rarely about money stuff).
I’ve helped clients let go of their limiting money beliefs, forever. I’ve helped thousands of people, who once felt trapped by receiving a paycheck, become successful entrepreneurs and coaches. And I’ve quietly offered scholarships for hundreds of coaches.
And now I’ve created Money, Money, Money – a training to help you live a Prosperous Life, and coach your clients to do the same…
When you join Money Money Money, you will:
- Get better at creating money.
- Learn to spend money consciously.
- Learn to save significantly.
- Understand how to manage money, or hire great people to help you.
- Learn to love giving to causes that mean a lot to you.
- Understand the importance of making your money work for you.
- Discover how successful coaches and entrepreneurs handle their money – and their money issues.
- Uplevel your lifestyle by knowing how and when to spend on luxury.
- Be able to coach successful, wealthy clients without fear because you understand their unique challenges.
- Make financial decisions without constantly doubting yourself.
- Map out what a truly Prosperous Life means for you – by defining your prosperous values.
- Learn the 3 Toxic Money Myths and the lies you’ve been taught about scarcity.
- Understand that the rules you learned about money are the floor, not the ceiling to your success. You’ll learn to create your own rules around money.
- Learn to help your clients plan for a Prosperous Life.
- Understand how to spend consciously on what means most to you, such as health, experiences, travel or luxury.
- Become financially fearless – by leveraging your time and energy.
- Understand why many of your friends and family (unconsciously) don’t want you to get rich. And what to do about it.
- Learn why true wealth is about freedom of time, energy and relationships and not about having more money.
- Understand how money is an amplifier: if you’re insecure, more money will increase your insecurities, not alleviate them. You need to handle your insecurities before you make any more money.
- Uncover your unconscious money beliefs and money biases. Then create new, empowering ones.
- Understand why – as you become wealthier – there will be certain things you can’t afford to do anymore…
- Discover the clues to your priorities in life, who you are, and what you care about – by looking at your bank statements and your credit card bill. They tell you what you care about. They show exactly where your priorities are.
- Become financially free – from the Inside Out.
- Understand how to master the game of money.
- Learn the very best sales advice. Because if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you have to learn to sell.
- Understand that people only buy 4 things. If you try to sell something other than those 4 things you will fail.
- Learn how to charge more by solving bigger problems, creating more value and remembering how powerful you are.
- Understand the 4 reasons you need to charge higher fees.
Who this is not for…
– If you want a quick way to get rich, or you’re looking to hack your way to success without putting in the work, this is not for you.
– This is not a course on financial literacy, accounting or investing. If you want to learn the basics of managing money – or how to make complex financial decisions – this is not for you.
-If you’re seriously in debt, this is definitely not for you. If that’s your situation right now, please seek professional financial help.
– If you want frugal advice on money, this is not for you. I will not be teaching you tips to save by cooking in bulk, collecting coupons or swapping out your lightbulbs!
– And if you are looking for a “Law of Attraction” approach to visualizing a million dollars and attracting it, this is absolutely not for you.
If you want to create a Prosperous Life – and teach your clients to do the same – this program is for you.
Money is only good for one thing – buying stuff. But you can’t buy happiness and you can’t buy love and you can’t buy great relationships.
Money isn’t your identity. It’s a tool. It’s a sign of your impact in the world. And once you have it, you can massively enhance your creativity and your generosity.
PS. Exciting News… The acclaimed 90 Day Money Game is making its grand return! For 16 years, this unique Client Creation game has been the secret weapon for the world’s top coaches ready to create their next client. Now, it’s your opportunity to join the ranks…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can amplify your coaching impact and income:
- The Coaching In Challenging Times Playbook. The year ahead is likely to be volatile and uncertain, which is why this playbook has been downloaded by tens of thousands of coaches…
- Our Intensives have sold out for over a decade. Secure your spot now – 101 tickets have already been claimed. Choose between The Virtual RLI to unlock the secrets to a thriving coaching business. Or Join me at The Santa Fe RLI – our first in-person Intensive in 5 years, bundled with complimentary Virtual RLI access.
- Rich Litvin RAW! Dive into over 40 hours of my immersive coaching content, accessible anytime, anywhere. It’s like having a coaching seminar in your pocket!
- The Thinking Partnership: This is beyond coaching – it’s exclusive and personal support. One of my clients is a former international boxer turned elite coach, another is the founder of a global therapy school. I provoke your thinking, you take action, and your life and business transforms. One spot available.