Oh my gosh, I was the proudest dad this week when my 7 year old son came home wearing this sticker. This kid is fast. He just got made a coach at his school. It took me 37 years before that was my career!
It was back in 2010 when Monique and I found out that she was pregnant with a boy.
I went to my Men’s Group and told them that I was afraid.
I said, “What on earth do I know about how to help him become a man? I barely know how to be a man myself…”
My friends gave me two pieces of advice that transformed my life:
- Don’t worry about trying to teach him to be a man. He will teach you everything you need to know.
- When it comes to parenting, you can’t get it right!
The Power of Play
I am about to head off for a month in Croatia, with the family. Other than running a Deep Dive, I will be using my boys as my role models and taking time just to play.
You see, when I grew up I learned the importance of working hard. Now, that’s not a bad lesson to teach your kids. Except, if you forget to teach them the importance of recovery.
Even Olympic athletes take 3 months off a year.
Yet many of the highly successful leaders I know, treat their life and business like an endless series of marathons, instead of a bunch of sprints with time for self-care in between.
They’re exhausted but the more successful they become, the more they have to lose and the harder it becomes to switch off… They’re highly successful but they’re burned out…
Kaleo came home from school the other day and said to me, “Dad, we were learning ‘catchphrases’ at school today. Like Nike’s is ‘Just do it.’ So I put up my hand and said, my Dad has a catchphrase!”
I laughed and said, “Really? What’s mine?”
“Slow down to speed up!” he replied.
Oh my gosh, I thought. I have never explicitly taught him that phrase but he’s heard me saying it to clients or on stage at my Intensives and it’s sunk in.
Want to know why that’s the one phrase that has transformed my life more than any other? Want to know why I teach this concept in everything I do?
It’s because I need to hear it. Again. And again. And again.
Look at this photo of me at 5 years old. This was before I got burned out from the pressure of working too hard. Before I learned to seek recognition by working long, long hours. And before I took on a message that being a driven leader was sometimes too high a price to pay.
My kids are fantastic reminders of the importance of play, fun and genuine silliness!
So, as I pack for my month long adventure in Europe, here’s me and the family wishing you a prosperous and playful week!
Slow down to speed up, this summer. Your family will thank you for it. Your body will thank you for it. And your clients will thank you for it.
PS. Project Kairos just began but it’s not too late to join me. You’ll get the recordings of the calls you miss. Master Creating Clients in the last Project Kairos I will ever run. Sign up now, and you still get a gift ticket to my upcoming program: $100K Clients!
PLUS, here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your impact and your income:
- Join my 2 new short programs, $100K Clients and One Milllllion Dollars! There’s a button at the bottom of either page that allows you to join both programs and save almost $300…
- Get my support as a Thinking Partner. This is for one successful entrepreneur or coach who wants to have their thinking provoked and to be challenged – on everything!
- Become my Protégé. This is for a single coach who wants my mentoring to help them transform every element of their coaching business – mastering The Prosperous Coach Approach, writing books, scaling your business, building a team, or becoming known as a Thought Leader…
- Want to work with me but not sure where to start? Check out our coaching journey and pick the program that suits you best.