Something Has To Give
I’m not good at taking care of me.
In fact, I’ve built an entire career around taking care of others.
I used to be a high school teacher, working 70 hour weeks for almost 15 years. That’s not a complaint. I loved my job.
Then I became a coach. And all I’ve had to do every day—for the past 12 years—is to be there for others.
What an awesome life!
Except, when you are the one always giving—something has to give.
And on several occasions in my life, I’ve come crashing down, both emotionally and physically.
Part of my gift as a coach is helping my high-performing clients do what is needed to recharge and energize:
- I teach a simple decision-making heuristic—a rule of thumb—HELL YEAH or HELL NO.
- I teach that what made you successful is saying YES to almost every opportunity—and what will get you to your next level of success is saying NO to almost every opportunity.
- I teach my clients to SLOW DOWN in order to speed up.
- I teach my clients to do more of what FILLS THEM WITH ENERGY and less of what DRAINS THEM OF ENERGY—gradually removing every energy drainer.
I know you see me… I teach what I most need to learn, right?
I’m a coach, I’m not perfect!
But I do have self-awareness.
I know that I can’t keep junk food in the house. If I do, I eat it. I once tracked down a box of Christmas chocolates that Monique hid from me—and ate every last one!
I know that there’s no point in me joining a gym. I’ll never go. So, I hire a personal trainer because then I show up.
And I know that I can’t book a massage or see a movie in the middle of the day or go for a walk on the beach without feeling guilty. So, I have a member of my team schedule these things for me.
This week, they scheduled a massage at a day spa for me. And I showed up.
Once I lay down, the masseuse said these words to me, “You can relax now. You’re here for you…”
It might sound crazy but that was hard to hear.
I even started crafting this article in my mind, as I was getting the massage!
I was sharing with Daniel Tyler Pohnke—a client of mine—that I block out Mondays just for me and how hard it is for me to not let meetings etc, creep onto this day.
Daniel, stopped me. He said, I have Mondays for me, too, Rich. But I have told my wife and I have told my team and I have told my clients that this day is for me and for no one else and for nothing else.
And he said this with such power and such clarity that I immediately saw what I was missing.
Daniel was taking care of Daniel. Ruthlessly.
It’s time for me to take care of me.
No one else will.
It’s time for you to take care of you.
No one else will.
P.S. There are only a few spots remaining to our Intensive this September in London. Grab your ticket to join us before we close the doors forever on Sunday, August 13th at midnight. Secure your seat here: http://richl1.sg-host.com/intensive
PS. Dramatically increase your confidence as a coach by mastering enrolling clients. Drastically increase your ability to raise your fees and up-level your clients. And learn to have fun making money. Join me on The 90 Day Money Game. There’s still time to join us…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your income and impact as a world-class coach:
- Assess your current coaching level and learn how to get to your next level. Read – or remind yourself of – The Litvin Levels, from The Prosperous Coach.
- Watch me coach some of the top coaches on the planet, in order to drastically uplevel your coaching skills. Join me on How To Coach A Superhero: The 4PC edition.
- Imagine joining a Deep Coaching experience alongside the members of 4PC, my community of high-level coaches… We only offer The 4PC Accelerator once a year and it always sells out in advance. Save $1,000 with early-bird pricing.
- Learn how to enroll and coach successful, talented and ambitious clients – with power and impact. Join my flagship program, Project Kairos – for 8 months of guidance, challenge and support to master creating clients.