If Success is your Destination, Failure is your Path
This past weekend 50 coaches from around the globe arrived in Los Angeles for The Prosperous Coach Intensive. We were joined by coaches from Canada, England, Norway, Ireland and from across the United States.
Just before lunch on the first day, I gave the coaches a big challenge. I told them to take two hours for lunch. And in that time they had to collect as many NOs as they could, they had to fail spectacularly and they had to make bold and even outrageous requests.
You could have heard a pin drop when I explained their mission. Mouths gaped open, blood drained from faces and cold sweat began to drip down people’s backs…
But then I showed them a clip from this video of Jia Jiang. He completely reframed his fear of rejection by going full out to get 100 rejections in 100 days: Rejection Guy
And then I asked the coaches to listen very carefully to the mission. I told them I didn’t care if anyone said yes to their request—they simply had to make it. I didn’t care if they succeeded in signing a new client over lunch—in fact, their job was to fail. And I didn’t care how many YESes they got—in fact their mission was to collect NOs
I could feel a sense of fear in the room, so before they left, I played them this clip of a very young Tom Cruise in Risky Business—it’s called, Sometimes you just gotta say, “What the f**k!”
Well, we set a high bar for who we have in the room in our events and these coaches went out and failed SPECTACULARLY! One coach collect 32 NOs over lunch. One man made $3,000,000 in Proposals (remember, I didn’t care whether or not anyone said yes).
In fact, between the rest of the coaches, we made a total of over $4,000,000 in proposals—just over a lunch break.
And the coaches really got it. What almost every coach experienced was that you don’t die and the world doesn’t stop when you lean out of your comfort zone.
Lean into your comfort zone and your comfort zone expands
And in the three days since the Intensive completed, something strange began to happen: I had a coach message me to tell me he signed his first $100,000 client. Someone else signed her first $10,000 client. Another coach was paid $1,000 for a single coaching session. One coach fired three less-then-dream-clients and experienced a sense of total relief that she didn’t ‘need’ a client. One new coach signed a client for 3 months—the longest agreement she’d ever created.
One coach messaged me how tough things had felt when a CEO client had cancelled their coaching session. But she contacted me again later that same day to say that he’d called her and she’d had a really powerful conversation with him. He is now paying for the cancelled sessions and finding a way to create even more commitment from his staff, due to her coaching.
If you want more success—fail more.
If you want more YESes—seek more NOs.
If you want more extraordinary results—make more extraordinary requests.
As Julien Smith says, Those who don’t give a f**k change the world. The rest do not.
Tell me how have you failed or screwed up in the past 30 days? How many NOs have you collected? What’s the next extraordinary request you will make?
Here’s how the amazing coach and artist, Allison Crow captured a little of what we got up to last weekend:
PS. We have just opened the doors to The Mastery Intensive, in December. And the first 9 spots have already gone. Click here to read more and to reserve your spot. They always sell out.
PLUS… Whenever you’re ready, here are 5 programs that will help you increase your income and impact, as a world-class coach in the coming months:
- Join Transition Excellence, my 6 month, self-paced training for high performing leaders transitioning into coaching. You’ll learn the skills, mindsets and strategies needed to create powerful, profitable coaching practices. Plus, you will join our private member only community. And, TE is ICF Accredited.
- We’ve opened the doors to Project Kairos 2.0. This is the most in-depth way to get my support on creating clients – for an entire year. You’ll massively increase your professional confidence. You’ll learn world-class skills for enrolling and coaching highly successful clients. You will 10X your impact, your income and your inner peace. So you can do the same for your clients.
- Join the 4PC Accelerator, a high pressure environment where you can be challenged and supported by the members of 4PC. We’ll help you develop your own community and become known as the expert in your field. You’ll find it hard not to grow, surrounded by the most talented, driven leaders I know…
- Money. Money. Money is an immersion training to help you coach clients to live a Prosperous Life, as you live yours. In this new training you will understand how to master the game of money, help your clients handle their limiting beliefs around money, and become financially fearless.
- My favorite program over the past two years is back. In How to Coach a Superhero I’ll be mentoring and coaching 5 highly successful coaches. I’m going to teach you how to coach extraordinary top performers. At the very same time, I’ll be teaching you how to do high-level group coaching.