The Butterfly Metaphor For Change
When we think of change we often picture the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly.
My little boys love the story of The Hungry Caterpillar, so even they know that after a period of ravenous consumption, a caterpillar finds a perch and forms a chrysalis.
Let some time pass and out pops a butterfly, right?
I learned recently is that there is actually NO structural similarity at all between a caterpillar and a butterfly. They are completely different creatures.
“Inside the chrysalis, the caterpillar—unable to move—dissolves into organic goop.
Cells, which had been dormant in the caterpillar and which biologists have the poetic genius to call “Imaginal cells,” begin a process of creating a new form and structure.
At first these Imaginal cells—the seeds of future potential, which contain the blueprint of a flying creature—operate independently as single-cell organisms. They are regarded as threats and are attacked by the caterpillar’s immune system.
But they persist, multiply, and connect with each other. The Imaginal cells form clusters and clumps, begin resonating at the same frequency and passing information back and forth until they hit a tipping point.
They begin acting not as discrete individual cells but as a multi-cell organism—and a butterfly is born.”
– Rob Evans & Carolyn Buck Luce
And this makes the butterfly metaphor for change even more powerful.
You see, leadership is lonely. And it doesn’t need to be that way.
Part of your mission is to seek out change-makers like yourself.
As Margaret Mead says:
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
P.S. When Jackie Knechtel and Flora Douville challenged me to put on these butterfly wings at our Intensive last weekend, I was immediately a Hell No. After all, I’m committed to looking good—and that would look ridiculous!
And then it hit me. If leadership is about leaning into your edge and doing what’s uncomfortable AND that’s what I am teaching—it was time for me to walk my talk. Even if I didn’t want to.
ESPECIALLY if I didn’t want to! www.4pc.expert
PS. Dramatically increase your confidence as a coach by mastering enrolling clients. Drastically increase your ability to raise your fees and up-level your clients. And learn to have fun making money. Join me on The 90 Day Money Game. There’s still time to join us…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your income and impact as a world-class coach:
- Assess your current coaching level and learn how to get to your next level. Read – or remind yourself of – The Litvin Levels, from The Prosperous Coach.
- Watch me coach some of the top coaches on the planet, in order to drastically uplevel your coaching skills. Join me on How To Coach A Superhero: The 4PC edition.
- Imagine joining a Deep Coaching experience alongside the members of 4PC, my community of high-level coaches… We only offer The 4PC Accelerator once a year and it always sells out in advance. Save $1,000 with early-bird pricing.
- Learn how to enroll and coach successful, talented and ambitious clients – with power and impact. Join my flagship program, Project Kairos – for 8 months of guidance, challenge and support to master creating clients.