The Power of Moments
My son, Kaleo, just turned 10. Wise beyond his years, he told me he didn’t really want a gift this year. He loves to read and connect with his friends but he’s not really into kid things. (A chip off the old block!)
So, I decided to create an experience for him instead.
More of that in a moment…
In Dan and Chip Heath’s book, The Power of Moments, they say that great experiences hinge on “peak” moments—the defining moments that shape our lives.
But we don’t need to wait for them to happen to us.
We can create them…
Defining moments are created from one or more of the following elements:
These are experiences that rise above the routine. They make us feel engaged, joyful, amazed and motivated. They raise the stakes and break the script on how things are usually done.
These are moments when we are recognized for our efforts, accomplishments or ideas. They are often at milestone moments in life. And they also occur after a moment of courage.
These are moments that involve shared meaning. They deepen ties and bond us more closely.
The Fast and The Furious
Kaleo loves watching The Fast and The Furious movies. They are bonding times for us when we watch them together.
And he loves the car that Vin Diesel drives in the movies.
I couldn’t get that car as it’s displayed in the Austin Auto Show. So I did the next best thing.
I rented a Dodge Challenger for two days and showed up to his school in it, as a surprise, to drive him home.
His jaw hit the floor when he saw it!
Elevation… Check. This was fun and exciting and very different to the way we usually do things.
Pride… Check. Kaleo felt seen. It was a milestone birthday. And he hasn’t stopped talking to his friends about it.
Connection… Check. Driving in this car together has been deeply bonding. “Rev the engine, Dad. Louder. Louder!”
If you want to build community and deep connection and clients who rave about their experiences with you—for ever—create defining moments for them.
I have some clients who have been working with me since 2008—almost 14 years. I have many members of my community who have returned to our Intensives over a dozen times. And I launched 4PC almost 8 years ago and there are members of 4PC who are about to commence their eighth year of membership.
My team and I work long and hard on ways to create defining moments for my clients—and my community—again and again and again.
The Power of Insight
By the way, there’s one more element involved in the creation of a defining moment…
There’s a reason my Podcast is called 1 Insight. I’m only ever coaching for an insight.
Life is one way, an insight occurs and, from that moment on, life is very different.
You can’t “give” a client an insight. But deep coaching—followed by space for gentle reflection, between sessions—can create the space for insights to occur.
To create space for the powerful action that’s needed, to follow an insight moment:
- Tell your client that you have high expectations for them.
- Then tell them that you know they can meet them. The 4 most powerful words in coaching are “I believe in you…”
- Set them challenges.
- Place them in new situations that expose them to the risk of failure.
- And when they do fail, help them to recover.
When you stretch your clients further than they imagine they can go, you will spark defining moments.
You’ll create raving fans and even clients for life.
PS. The Deep Dive is back. We begin this December—and over the course of two months, including two days in Dubai—you will join a small group of committed people, with me as your coach.
You'll set yourself up for 2022, refreshed and revitalized, with a clear vision and a bold action plan.
The first 2 spots have already gone. Learn more and join me, here.
PLUS… Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 more ways we can help you grow an extraordinary coaching business—one conversation at a time:
- Take your coaching and your client creation to the next level with Master the Prosperous Coach Approach and Master Deep Coaching… 6 weeks of live experiences with me. We begin in a couple of days. I will be setting you challenges, each week.
- Join Transition Excellence, my self-paced training on client creation. Plus, you get weekly live group calls with me and my leadership team—and you join our private Facebook group to access our incredible community. TE is designed for executives and entrepreneurs transitioning into coaching and consulting. It’s also ICF accredited.
- If you want me to draw out your genius (what makes you weird), sign up for a Branded session. I’ll draw out the stories from your past that you cannot yet tell. People often cry when I do this. And I’ll help you craft stories to create your future that have people say, “Wow!” **There are no spots left for 2021 but you can apply for your session in Jan or Feb 2022, now. It’s a massive investment in your confidence because we will craft the stories that help you create clients—for the rest of your life.
- Being a leader can be lonely but it doesn’t have to be that way… I founded 4PC because I wanted to be surrounded by coaches with a track record of success behind them and big dreams ahead of them. We have members from across the United States, Canada and Europe and our first member from Africa joins us this January. There’s a minimum 3 year commitment and a $25K/year membership fee, so this isn’t for most people. But if you’re reading this, you're not most people, right? Apply to join us in 4PC…