To be a great leader, you don’t need to be more intelligent than your team.
To be a great coach, you don’t need to be more intelligent than your clients.
In fact, ‘intelligence’ can often be a detriment.
As Dave Trott puts it:
“Stupid people think complicated is clever.
But smart people know simple is clever.
Because you have to go beyond complicated to get to simple.”
5 LEVELS OF INTELLECT
The Nobel prize winning physicist, Albert Einstein knew the power of the simplicity on the OTHER side of complexity.
It’s why he described the five ascending levels of intellect as: ‘Smart, Intelligent, Brilliant, Genius, Simple.’
In her book, Rookie Smarts, Liz Wiseman explains that we are often at our best when we are doing something for the first time, because we bring a curious, flexible, youthful and mindset.
Being new, naive, and even clueless can actually be an asset.
You see, as a rookie you are unencumbered. You have no baggage to weigh you down, no resources to burden you, and no track record to limit your thinking or aspirations.
Being a rookie is a mindset that can be cultivated.
In fact, some of the best leaders are ‘perpetual rookies.’
Despite years of experience, they retain their rookie smarts. They think and operate with the mindsets and practices of high-performing rookies.
SIMPLICITY: THE POWER OF DUMB QUESTIONS
In his excellent book, Getting Naked, Dan Pink explains why struggling consultants are more concerned about being seen as ‘smart’ than helping their client.
Whereas successful consultants are willing to ask ‘dumb’ and ‘obvious’ questions.
They readily admit what they don’t know and they are quick to celebrate their mistakes because they don’t need to ‘look’ good.
EDUCATED vs SMART
Here’s how Dave Trott draws the distinction between educated people and smart people:
“Educated people learn answers.
Smart people invent answers.
Educated people satisfy examiners.
Smart people bypass examiners.
Educated people stick to the curriculum.
Smart people go off piste.
Educated people have degrees.
Smart people have achievements.
Educated people fit in.
Smart people stand out.
Educated people look for the right answer.
Smart people look for the exciting answer.”
DON’T TRY TO BE MORE INTELLIGENT
To be a great leader, you don’t need to be brighter than your team.
In fact, try making it your mission to hire a team who are constantly smarter than you!
To be a great coach, you don’t need to be more intelligent or have more knowledge than your clients.
In fact, your job isn’t to answer your clients’ questions. It’s to help your clients live into better questions.
“Making the simple complicated is commonplace.
Making the complicated simple … that’s creativity.”
– Charles Mingus (considered to be one of the greatest jazz musicians and composers in history)
COACHING HIGH PERFORMERS
My clients are leaders and coaches who are the best in the planet at what they do.
I spent the weekend at our Deep Dive in Estonia, with a group that included an engineer, an actress, a Grammy-winning producer, with a 30 year track-record in the music business, a former director at an international investment bank who has a PhD from Cambridge University, and an entrepreneur who – 30 years ago – created Britain’s first ever woman-owned and run plumbing company.
I couldn’t possibly be smarter than any of them.
Fortunately, I don’t have to be.
You see, at the heart of being a coach to high performers, I get paid to do two things:
- To mess with people’s thinking, not to think better than them.
- To say the things to highly successful people that most people would never dare to say.
This makes my job simple – but not easy!
I love sharing resources and books that I love. Please note that the links in this article are my affiliate links. If you prefer not to use my affiliate links you can search for any of these titles directly where ever you purchase your books.
PS. Exciting News… The acclaimed 90 Day Money Game is making its grand return! For 16 years, this unique Client Creation game has been the secret weapon for the world’s top coaches ready to create their next client. Now, it’s your opportunity to join the ranks…
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can amplify your coaching impact and income:
- The Coaching In Challenging Times Playbook. The year ahead is likely to be volatile and uncertain, which is why this playbook has been downloaded by tens of thousands of coaches…
- Our Intensives have sold out for over a decade. Secure your spot now – 101 tickets have already been claimed. Choose between The Virtual RLI to unlock the secrets to a thriving coaching business. Or Join me at The Santa Fe RLI – our first in-person Intensive in 5 years, bundled with complimentary Virtual RLI access.
- Rich Litvin RAW! Dive into over 40 hours of my immersive coaching content, accessible anytime, anywhere. It’s like having a coaching seminar in your pocket!
- The Thinking Partnership: This is beyond coaching – it’s exclusive and personal support. One of my clients is a former international boxer turned elite coach, another is the founder of a global therapy school. I provoke your thinking, you take action, and your life and business transforms. One spot available.