A client said to me, “Rich, I feel like I’m on the edge of risking everything…” She was frozen and unable to take action towards her dreams.
So I told her a story…
In 1974, a 24 year old Frenchman named Philippe Petit, walked a high-wire illegally rigged between the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Center.
Everyone held their breath as he stepped out because the towers were 1,350 feet above the ground. They were swaying that morning because of the wind.
The rain was beginning to fall and it made the wire between the towers wet and slippery.
Petit stood there for a moment, took a deep breath himself and then he stepped out onto the wire.
The night before, his team had shot an arrow across the 200 ft gap between the towers and pulled across a 450-pound steel cable. He used a custom-made 26-foot long balancing pole.
And that morning, he performed for 45 minutes, making eight passes along the wire, during which he walked, danced, lay down on the wire, and saluted watchers from a kneeling position. Office workers, construction crews and policemen cheered him on.
As he climbed back onto the building he was arrested by the police, although the charges were later dropped in exchange for a free show of juggling for children in Central Park.
A few years ago, Alan Weiss attended a presentation of the movie Man On Wire, where Philippe Petit took some questions about this feat.
Petit’s reply was fascinating…
“It’s the second step.”
Not the first step but the second step.
You see, with your first step, you still have one foot anchored and supported by something solid. But with the second step, you have to shift your center of gravity so that your entire body is no longer supported by anything solid.
This isn’t just true for tightrope walkers. The mistake so many of us make is to think that we will fall if we take the second step.
You will only fall if you never take the second step.
So, tell me, where are you still hanging on? And what will you do to take your second step?
Make it a tiny step.
But take the step.
Because your next step will only become clear in that very moment.
PS. Join me on one of my upcoming Deep Dive coaching experiences:
- Find Your Mission: The Los Angeles Deep Dive will help you develop a mission that’s powerfully aligned with your values.
- Serve Profoundly: The London Deep Dive will help you drastically increase your influence so you can serve more people than you can possibly imagine.
Spaces are limited to maintain an intimate, high-impact experience. Reserve your spot today.
PLUS, whenever you’re ready – here are 4 more ways you can drastically increase your income and impact as a world-class coach…
- One Milllllion Dollars! Join 200+ coaches for transformational learning.
- The Elite Coach’s Transformation Series: Access my suite of 6 exclusive, comprehensive, coaching tools.
- Rich Litvin RAW!: Immerse yourself in over 40 hours of my coaching.
- Exclusive Opportunity: Become my Protégé in 2024: Radically transform every aspect of your life and business with my personal coaching. Only one spot available. Apply for an interview now… Your investment: $100K. Your ROI: priceless transformation.